As Robert Plant turns 70 today, we have three cocktail recipes that you can make to celebrate his birthday tonight.
1. "The Robert Plant" (Easy)
A user called White Summer had posted a series of Led Zeppelin cocktails on forums, and one that we're sharing today is called "The Robert Plant".
All you need is 4 oz. (180ml) Canadian Club Whiskey served neat and stirred vigorously and garnish with a wedge of kiwi.
If you fancy a stronger mix, try "The Led Zeppelin", you could do 8 oz. (240ml) Canadian Club Whiskey balanced with 8 oz. (240ml) of coffee.
2. Paper Plane cocktail with a Zeppelin twist (Easy)
Lead mixologist Shannon Marshall at The Four Seasons Hotel in Toronto also has another Led Zeppelin cocktail based on a paper plane cocktail with a twist. You can watch the video tutorial below.
3. "To Find a Queen Without a King" cocktail (Advanced)
Bar director, Michael Neff, in Houston has crafted a special cocktail called "To Find a Queen Without a King" to celebrate Robert Plant's birthday.
The cocktail references "Going to California", a Led Zeppelin ballad from their fourth untitled album that is rumoured to be inspired by Joni Mitchell.
Of late, Neff has taken the lyric "Telling myself it's not as hard as it seems" as a mantra, which also inspired him to invent the drink that is a mix of tequila with hints of citrus and spicy cinnamon.
Fancy making one for yourself? We've got the recipe below:
- 2 oz. (60ml) Herradura Reposado “Tequila-Ball” cinnamon tequila*
- 1/2 oz. (15ml) fresh lime juice
- 1/4 oz. (7.5ml) Dirty Sue olive juice
- 3 oz. (89ml) Jarritos grapefruit soda (or equivalent)
- 3 Queen stuffed olives
- 1 rosemary spear
*Herradura Reposado “Tequila-Ball” cinnamon tequila
- Combine 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar in a pot.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then add 6 cinnamon sticks.
- Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, then cover, remove from heat, and let sit for at least 3 hours and up to overnight. The longer you let this steep, the more cinnamon and heat this syrup will get.
- Pour the contents of one bottle of Herradura Reposado tequila into a jar and add 5 oz. of the above cinnamon syrup. Add one stick of cinnamon, cover, and use to make delicious cocktails or serve chilled as a shot.
- Shake all liquid ingredients minus soda in a cocktail shaker,
- Gently pour soda into shaker tin, then slowly pour contents in a tall glass with ice.
- Add more soda to taste or fill.
- Spear olives with rosemary sprig and use for garnish.